/ News, Forschung, Events
New Publication from the Valueworks project on Swiss Transit Trade and Zambia
The latest Afrika Bulletin Issue comes out of the project Valueworks: Effects of Financialization along the Copper Value Chain financed by SNIS and led by Dr Rita Kesselring. A collaborative effort between project members, the Swiss ADR (also a project member) and the Afrika Bulletin, the issue presents some preliminary findings on the Swiss commodity trading hub and its effects in Zambia, a copper-rich country, and Southern Africa.
The articles are written in German.
The issue is available online: http://www.afrikakomitee.ch/Bulletin/AfrikaBulletin172_2018.pdf
Editorial by Barbara Müller
- Introduction: What connects Zambia and Switzerland: copper and resistance against the extractive industry by Rita Kesselring
- Extractivism à la Suisse: the role of Swiss firms in copper's value chain in Southern Africa by Gregor Dobler and Rita Kesselring
- Geneva, Zug, Lugano: The world of transit trader and their global significance by Stefan Leins
- Working in Zambia's mines after privatization by James Musonda (PhD candidate at the University of Liège)
- Zambia today: fight against corruption and the loss of democracy by Barbara Müller (with a portrait of Laura Miti, Zambian activist)
- The Water Campaign in Mufulira by Swiss ADR / Solifonds / Aurora Garcia
The bulletin is meant as preparatory reading for the working organized by the Swiss ADR, the Afrika Komitee and the Centre for African Studies in Basel on December 8, 2018 http://www.apartheid-reparations.ch/documents/news/Flyer%20Tagung%202018-web.pdf), and the project's final events in Geneva on December 10 and 11: http://www.unrisd.org/unrisd/website/events.nsf/(httpEvents)/C243C9B8BC30403BC12582BE0036C362?OpenDocument